We have actually driven passed Crazy Horse several times, but never gone in cause it's expensive! 26 bucks normally for a car load! So when I saw in the base paper that admission was free today with a donation of 3 cans, plus a Blast at 11:00, we had out Memorial Day activity S-E-T! I woke up early to pack a lunch and prepare the vehicle for the short drive, woke up the kids, fed people and 2.5 hours later we were in the car! lol.. Ahh.. life with small children and a husband! The drive through the Black Hills is just amazing! I love how the rocks jut up from random spots. The night before Gma Hotz had given me some skans of yarn she got at a garage sale and I taught Aurora to make a braided chain, so she "knitted" the whole way there. Tyton played his leapster2! Grifin slept. Scott and I got to talk uninterrupted with children in the car!
Going up the drive!
We thought there would be a TON of people. Maybe normal it is very empty, but it wasn't near as bad as I thought for a FREE day! We arrived 5 minutes before the blast! Perfect timing to park and run up the hill where everyone was watching. We ended up sitting for about 3 minutes! I got a short video of it. Listen and notice how it takes about 7 seconds for the sound of the blast to even get to us.
After the Blast we went into the visitors center. I thought for sure we would have to drag our little ones through it so that we could see, but they were genuinely interested. Tyton LOVED the arrow heads and the clothing. Aurora was amazed by the pottery! Some of it was pretty neat, but I'm not sure what I did this morning to have a 5 and 4 year old pay such close attention to what is really a boring display for a kid! I like to think it cause we didn't drag them. We didn't pay, so we felt like we could take our time and only look at what truely interested us.
I thought the rock pile was the neatest. They had a big corner where you could take a rock chunk from previous blasts. Unlike Rushmore, where the original rocks are still at the base, this carving will go all the way to the ground. So... the are giving some away and building some of the site structures with some! The whole site will be amazing when it's done. I truly recommend Googling it to find out more!
Me, Rory and Grifin with Pocahotas's Raccoon cape. Boy... she must have been tall!
I wanted a picture of them with Crazy Horse. They decided to pose like they were fixing Grifin's Fauxhawk.
This is us next to a 1/34th scale model of what the mountain will look like when it's done!
Tired Tyton.
We are so honored to be able to see such a small, but neat part of history! Looking through the history of Crazy Horse was VERY interesting. It made me so proud to be a part of what I am now as a military wife. I support my husband in everything he does. I am sad when he is gone, but he is truly my knight in shining armor. How can I stop him from being that for others too! I enjoyed our picnic at the park and talking with him while the kids played. I'm so proud of my husband.
0 comments:
Post a Comment