Saturday, November 27

My Broken Baby ;(

Aurora was invited to a Magic Show Birthday party and Tyton was allowed to tag alone.  VERY awesome party in a beautiful split level home.  Aurora and Tyton were down in the den and watching the magic show.  I was up by the kitchen and living room area so Grifin could play with toys away from the screaming fun!


I was standing by the stairs, watching the show, when 1 year old Grifin came and stood next to me.  I thought nothing of it.  He goes up and down the stairs in our house all the time.  I guess in the rush of fun he though, "Huh...  I'm just gunna step down instead of slide on my tummy."  Yeah... he can't do that!  There were only 5 little steps so I attempted a calm rush down the stairs to comfort what I assumed was a just scared baby and take him away from the party so the others could have fun. 


We calmed him with ice cream and then I took him into the living room to check body parts.  In my head I knew something wasn't right, but kept telling myself he was ok.  It was a pretty slow and short fall, but it was straight forward.  I check his legs.  He could walk.  I felt his torso and he never winced.  Then he got up, walked away and started playing with toys again.  I still felt weird.


I tried my hardest to stay calm during the whole thing.  I didn't want to make a big deal of it at the party.  It was pretty much over and I knew it was going to take time to see if Scott could come home for a little bit or if I was going to need to take the kids over to the Hotz.  Plus the time it would take to get approval from TriCare to take him in.  Turned out perfect that right as we were leaving and I was going to call the Hotz, Scott said he was on his way home.


It was when Scott came home that it was a little harder to keep my emotions contained.  I think it's cause then he could be strong.  Grifin would have none of that though!  It was like he could sense he and I were both hurting.  If in different ways.  He wouldn't go to Scott and would cry when I started to set him down.  Then... he tried to crawl and reach for a toy and fell FLAT on his face.   I knew something was wrong.  I attempted to stay calm and called Scott at the fire station to see if he could get off work so I could take Grifin in.  Shockingly they let him go.  They all now me.  So does Scott.  They knew I wouldn't call if I didn't feel something was actually wrong. 
 Here is us in the waiting room.
By the time I got to the ER and 1.5 hours later, his arm started to swell a little.  Mommy didn't do as well.  In my worry about Grifin I didn't notice the  "DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING" signs.  Apperantly it's in case you need surgery.  I got a little chastised for giving him fish crackers.  I didn't care.  He did take extremely well to the nurse that took us back to our room.  Grifin wouldn't go to me when we got back to the room.  I had to bribe him with a blanket!  
He did great in the ER.  He truly has the best personality.  He was calm and happy with all the nurses.   He did his normal "studying"  of everything.  (He is so serious.  He stares at everything with a death look.)   He let the doc and 2 different nurses hold, poke, weight, and take his temperature.  During the x-ray he hardly needed holding.  He sat very still and made cute baby noises.  The only time he really got upset was when the doc came in.  He was sitting and turned to use his arm to get up.  We BOTH saw his little arm collapse at the wrist.  They gave him yummy pain meds.
The doc and nurses all told me he was probably fine.  They said the worst he would need was probably a splint.  It's hard to break a baby arm because they really don't have any bones!  They are little rubber band things!  Of course, when the doc came in and showed me the x-ray I knew it was worse than expected!  Somehow, in that little fall, his rubber-band baby bones were hurt.  He has a buckle fracture in BOTH his radius and ulna near his wrist.  The doc was pretty shocked and said he is actually going to need a cast for 6 weeks!  They gave him this pretty cool splint until Monday.  They put a sticker on it so he could pick that instead of the wrap.   
Even when we were leaving he was a trooper!  He reached right for the man nurse, who then played with him while I talked to the insurance dude and check out! He isn't smiling in the picture, but I swear he was a nice guy.  They played peek a boo with all the other nurses and patients.  Grifin has that sparkle!Of course he yanked in off in the car ride home, but then fell asleep.  I fixed it when we got home, changed his diaper and put him in bed.  He never even woke up!


I thank Heavenly Father everyday for our little miracle that is Grifin.  We didn't have the worst time getting pregnant, he didn't have any problems when he was born, he has always slept through the night and in general been and exceptionally easy kiddo.  What is amazing about him is his seriousness to everything.  He has to know just what is going on and then he will react.  He studies everything and is genuinely worried about others.  He wants to be a part of everything and he has a silly sense of humor that I don't quite remember Aurora and Tyton having.  Maybe I'm just getting to old to remember.


Today I made a cover for Grifin's cast.  He again had pulled it off when I went to get him this morning.  I put a sock over it, but I was paranoid about his little fingers.  They said to always check them to make sure that they aren't blue and that he is moving them.  So... during his nap that morning I made him a present.  No.. it doesn't completely make my ouchy mommy feelings go away, but it sure helped!  lol
The post on how I made it is over at Sherbert Cafe.  If you are heading over there from here you can skip the intro... I copy and pasted it from here!  lol

2 comments:

Here and Now said...

That "Man nurse" is always so nice. He helped me with Sophia one night.

Mary said...

I'm so glad he's okay. I'm sure you and Scott were worried but it's such a relief to know it all worked out! What a cutie too. I love his star cast cover you made him. :) What a sweet little guy.